Friday, November 24, 2006

First Fear Script - Thanksgiving Draft

People have been asking where I'm at with the First Fear comic book. Well, I'm actually at a pretty exciting place with it. I have been working on a new draft of the script and a much better story is coming together.

I had written a complete storyline and in looking at the whole I wasn't satisfied. It was a wall of cliches and fun scenes, but not much of a story. An 'interesting premise' entertainment does not make. I also wasn't happy with the lead character and tone of the piece.

A story about monsters can take many routes these days. Is it gothic horror? Buffy the Vampire Slayer - scary/funny/ironic/hip? Hellblazer social commentary/character study/bloody violence? Saw/Hostel/Chainsaw - all gore, all the time? Well, none of those appealed to me nor was I capable of writing one well. What is coming out now is historical science fiction meets Ms. Indiana Jones (as Cthulhu) covered in blood. Think of a bloody immortal running amok through Erich Von Daniken's Chariot of the Gods.

I had originally named my lead character, Shakti, but a new, high profile line of comicbooks with Indian heroines has put a kabosh on that one. Damn.

Writing in a hospital can also put a new spin on a project. My father, who is 89, fell last week and broke his hip. I have been spending about 10 hours a day with him and writing in his room when he sleeps. At least today, on Thanksgiving, I got to feed him pureed turkey and pumpkin pie and still pop home for a great dinner that Julienne slaved over.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger aleX wald said...

New comment to an old post. Re the necessity to choose another name for a character--have you considered "Kabosh?"

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home