Thursday, October 19, 2006

Charlie the Younger



A friend from college was kind enough to dig up this picture of me from around 1978. I was sooo ready for the Sex Pistols. It is this sullen, obnoxious, fuck-the-world artist that the older me is seeking to recapture just a tiny piece of these days. I was thinking creatively 24 hours a day and had no limits. Reality and experience has a way on knocking that confidence out of you over time, but I'm working hard to push through those scars and find the spirit of that kid in the photo again.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Ray Frenden said...

I know what you mean. Age isn't the problem, I suspect. It's the conglomeration of real-life, adult responsibility that does it. I've been out on my own since 15, and the time for being creative and devoting myself 100% to art stopped there. I didn't draw for nearly eight years and it's only in the last two that I've started again.

It's worth it. I was really discouraged and fearful at first, but I'm drawing better now than I ever have!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Ray Frenden said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:24 AM  
Blogger apo said...

I like you in 1987.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie, That shirt was genius. My students wear shirts like that all the time. You paved the way, man. You paved the way

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home