Sunday, July 02, 2006

New Branding

In getting ready for the conference and the new website, it was time to refresh the brand. Some have argued against it, but it was not only recharging the look of Burning City, Inc., but represented a fresh start for myself, as well. I thought I would show a small part of the work process and follow the birth of this one design.


Step 1 is the scanned first doodle that I wanted to play with. It was tiny. Step 2 is the enlarged and cleaned up version to place into Illustrator to go from raster to vector. Step 3 is the first vector draft that could then manipulated to my liking.


I soon realized that the full figure didn't lend itself well to a logo design. Duh. I cut the figure in half and added detail to the gas tank on her back and played with simplifying the eyes. All with an aim to size reduction.


After adding some text, I felt the need to edit some more and enlarge the eyes so that they would read when reduced. Now we're getting somewhere. I'm willing to live with this version for awhile.


And here is a stab at a black t-shirt design for the Wizard World Chicago conference.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the new logo rocks. And if you decide to rename your company to Flaming Bong, you're golden...

Nice to have you back!

11:39 PM  
Blogger aleX wald said...

Hmmm...it does look a bit bong-ish at that. Maybe in Burning City one fights zombies and vampires with smoke, rendering them too stoned to chase you.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig it. The circular version feels really complete and solid, too. If you adjust the eyes on it as you did the one paired with type, you get the whole repetition of elements thing going on. Circle, circle, circle.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

7-4-6. 2:11 AM. We have favicon.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home